Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Mortal Instruments

A few day's ago, I posted about this series. I had just finished the first book and was super stoked with it. Let me just say up front, that the books are all FANTASTIC! I thoroughly enjoyed the series. I was so sad to see it end, but it's good it did, because it has been consuming my life the past week.

I put a little note, that as always read a book if your questioning the content of the book, when looking to let your kids read it. I thought this was a great book, but I don't think it's aimed at below 16-year-old readers. I don't. The characters in the book are between 15 to 20 years old. They talk a little bit about sex, but only in passing. There is a couple of make out sessions. But it's pretty clean. They do address homosexuality a bit, but it's not a major part of the story. There is some language, but it's pretty mild. There is a MAJOR and slightly disturbing story line throughout the books, but it gets fixed in the end. You'll know what I am talking about after you finish the first book. I was glad to know that, because it made me a lot less uncomfortable through out the book.
I may have just given something away, but I felt much better after someone let me know that little secret.

The characters in the book are funny, quirky and each one has so many diffrent dimensions to them. Magnus is one of my favorites. He cracks me up. His eccentric clothes and the funny things he say's.

All in all, I loved it. It's a great story. Jace, who is one of the main characters and love interest in the book is my new fictional favorite. Like I said before, Edward, who??

1 comment:

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

I'm SO glad you liked it in the end! I'm always a little hesitant to assure someone they'll love a series just because I did!