Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Sisters Keeper

Ever since we save the previews for this movie, Mandee and I have been dying to go see it. Well we went on Saturday and I have to say, it wasn't quite what I expected.

The story is about Kate, who was diagnosed with Leukemia at a very young age. Her parents decide to conceive a baby who can be a donor for her older sister. After 11 years and countless surgeries, the daughter has had enough and sues her parents for medical emancipation. You watch this poor family go through trials and each bares their own individual pain in regards to Kate and her illness. Kate is an amazing girl who has such a beautiful spirit and they did a wonderful job portraying that in the movie.

It is truly a touching and poignant story. I haven't yet had the chance to read the book, but plan on reading it soon. The movie truly was fabulous and I bet the book is even better.

As much as I liked it, I don't know that I would be able to watch it again. Mandee and I both sobbed our way through the movies. I'm sure the crying began about 20 minutes into it and lasted the entire time. Mandee said after the movie, that they should just let us watch that movie over and over and we wouldn't have a drought! It was truly a tear jerker. I haven't cried like that in years. Out of the 7 of us who went, Mandee and I were the only ones who came out of the theater looking like this..........

You have been warned! This movie will cause red puffy eyes and dehydration!

We do recommend seeing this. Just plan on taking an entire box of tissues. It's one of those movies where you will absolutely fall in love with the characters. There are moments when you will hate some of them. There is lot's of laughter but also tears. It's a movie that will make you appreciate your children and make you want to go home and hold them and never let them go.

And you know what? I probably will buy it. It is such a great story. It will just be one of those movies I only watch when I need to have a good cry. Well worth seeing!!

1 comment:

Letti said...

I was wondering about this movie too. Thanks for the review.