Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Happy 100 years Grandma!


My Grandma is turning 100 years old today!!! Think about it.....1908 is when she was born. This was when:
*only 14 percent of the homes had bathtubs
*average life expectancy was 47
*Henry Ford developed the first Model T automobile and it sold for 850 dollars
*The speed limit was 10 mph in most places
*The average wage was 22 cents an hour
*sugar was 4 cents a pound
*Most women only washed their hair once a month,and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo. *The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30
*There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day
*Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores.
*There were about 230 reported murders in the entire U.S.A.
*Federal spending: $0.66 billion
*Theodore Roosevelt was the President

My grandma is one of the greatest people I know. She is always so positive and has a great way of looking at the world. She has seen so much evolve and can't figure out how a cell phone can work the same way as a "rotary phone". I love to hear her stories, my kids do too.

What a legacy she holds. She has five children, 17 grandchildren, 45 great grandchildren, and one great great grandchild. I am so proud to call her my grandma. We have always had a special bond and I know it will lead to the eternities.

It is kind of crazy to me that today is election day-the most important one-and she was born 100 years ago today. The things she must be thinking..........WE LOVE YOU GRANDMA!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Kritta22 said...

You need to get a 5 generation picture, if you can! Happy Birthday Grandma! What a great lady you are!

Kellie said...

Wow! That is wonderful. Happy 100th birthday Grandma ;) Hope she is spoiled rotten!!!

mylittlegems said...

That is awesome. My great grandma was about to turn 100 and there was a big party planned for her. She died at 99 a few months earlier-It was still special- as I was just pregnant w/ my first, and I feel like she was watching over him :) before he got here.
What a neat thing to write about your grandma! GEt all the good stories you can from her now :)