Thursday, September 18, 2008

Food For Thought

Some days I revel in being mommy. Other day's I'm frustrated and seem to be to the end of my rope. I've often said that raising kids is a lot like being pecked to death by chickens. Anyone else ever felt this way? Sometimes I feel like I am missing a lot of moments that I should be sharing with my kids. There is always clothes to wash, bathrooms to be cleaned, dinner to be cooked, and the list goes on and on. And then there are times when I realize that I am missing moments that can never be replaced. I have read this quote many times, but today it had new meaning to me. I wanted to share it with you and I pray that it uplifts those who may need it and that it sticks with all of us. It's good advice.


"...but the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three on them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4, and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in a hurry to get on to the next things: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."

Anna Quindlen

Let's remember to spend more time in the moment and less worrying about this dishes and all the things of life. Enjoy the moments that will never come again.

3 comments:

Dover Fam said...

Amen to that sista!!!! You are a great mom and I love ya to pieces. I am so glad that we are doing this blog together-you teach me so very much. Hope your day gets brighter. YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!

Sherelle said...

I totally relate...AMEN!

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Great quote! I'm going to have to print it off and hang it somewhere prominent in my house!