Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Wheat Bread

Okay, so I posted white bread yesterday, I thought I would post my wheat bread recipe. I tweaked several diffrent recipes until I came up with this and this is the bread that I prefer. It's more hardy and holds up better for sandwhiches or just even butter and honey.

Wheat Bread
(2 batch recipe)

1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. Yeast

Brew together until bubbly

3 cups warm water
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 to 1/2 cup canola oil
2 Tbsp. Dough Enhancer (optional)
4 cups wheat flour or ground red wheat
white flour

Brew yeast in warm sugar water. In large bowl combine water, sugar, oil and dough enhancer. Add wheat flour and stirl. Then add yeast mixture. Add enough white flour to get dough manageable. I do leave it a littel sticky and add more flour after it has risen the first time. Raise until double. Bunch down and shape into loaves and place in greased bread pans. Let raise until bread it just starting to show over sides of pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Brush tops with butter for soft top.

This recipe is very easy and very flexible. You can adjust sugar and oild depending on you liking. You might could even use applesauce in place of the oil, but I have yet to try that out.
Good luck!!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I'm really excited to make this. Thanks for the recipe!