Thursday, August 14, 2008

Chunky Crayons

What a fun project!! I originally got this idea off of Make and Takes. I wanted a fun project to do with Tyson today, and so we picked this one. If you have a minute check out Make and Takes as she has a ton of great ideas.

What you need is all your old crayons. This is a great time of year to do this project because Crayons are so cheap and easy to replace at this time of year. You'll want to tear the paper off each crayon and break them up and put assorted colors in you muffin tins. Be sure to spray your tin first with vegetable oil. I FORGOT to do this and it made it really hard to get the crayons out.

I let Tyson put some in a bag and use the rolling pin to smash them up.
It was a lot harder to get the paper off the crayons than I thought it would be. I finally took a paring knife and used that to carve a thin strip of the paper off and then Tyson could peel the paper off easily.
This is prior to baking. Sorry it's so blurry, but I didn't realize it until I loaded the photo's. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Place tray in oven and let crayons melt for about 7 to 8 minutes until melted. It happens pretty fast.

Here is our finished product. It does take a little while for them to cool enough to take them out of the pan. The edges are chipped because I forgot the vegetable oil. We had a lot of fun and it is a fairly easy project. I wish I would have waited to do it with J.D. also, because I think he would have had a lot of fun. A 3-year-olds attention span is only so big.

No comments: